Total Pageviews

Friday 24 December 2021

Christmas Greetings from my Hermit’s Cave

 


Last Christmas I wrote about Christmas in the strangest of years. Well, it’s still a strange old world and while I’ve occasionally been venturing out from my hermit’s cave, it certainly doesn’t feel normal.

I now visit a few select shops but am still shunning all supermarkets. Delivery to my doorstep is the new norm. As for travel, I don’t think I’ve been further than 30 miles from my own doorstep for the past two years. Book festivals and conferences are a no-no unless they’re online. I’ve become quite adept at Zoom and have done a few Zoom events and readings for libraries and other places. If you search for my name on YouTube, you’re bound to find them.

I have plucked up the courage to do some live events, as well as taking my bookstall to various markets. Masked and sanitised, of course. And it’s been marvellous to meet real live people and readers in the flesh rather than on Zoom. I think I’d started to think flesh and blood people were a figment of my imagination and that we were all avatars.

The one good thing is that I’ve read a massive number of books. Kindle for bedtime, paperback or hardback for midday, and audiobooks when I’m exercising or doing mundane household tasks.

I will be dining out on Christmas Day, but it won’t be in a restaurant or hotel – I’ve forgotten what the inside of those looks like! I will be joining my granddaughter and her family, maintaining my social bubble, and we’re going to have a great time.

As for the new book, it’s progressing slowly. I think when lockdown first happened, my brain decided to go into lockdown as well. I really must get my finger out and finish it.

In the meantime, I want to wish everyone a happy Christmas and to those of you who don’t celebrate Christmas, happy holidays. I hope Santa is good to you and fills your stockings with all kinds of goodies, particularly books. What’s Christmas or a holiday without a good book.



Chris Longmuir

Website

Amazon Author Page

 

No comments: